District #9 - East Bethany
The first school at this site was an old red schoolhouse, which was taken
down, sold for $13 and replaced with a two-room building, built in 1890, at
a cost of $1,000.
Records indicated that this school received $1 in sale of apples from the
school property. One dollar was paid for housecleaning the school each
year. Wood for heating cost $2 per cord.
The children enjoyed sharing the duty to ring the bell in the cupola,
indicating the start of a school day.
Sophia Page was a student in this little schoolhouse; she went on to study
medicine and practiced her profession in East Bethany for many years.